Saturday 4 February 2017

LETTUCE FREE GREEN SALAD



Lettuce free salad- advocate, watercress, mint, cucumber and spring onion





Yesterdays headlines and radio news bulletins here in England seemed rather comic after the recent few weeks, no months, of world craziness..

“Salad crisis!” 
“Supermarkets limit customers to three iceberg lettuces!”

The reality of farmers in Europe loosing entire crops is sadly anything but comic, however, the reports do explain the distinct lack of spinach in my favourite supermarket in recent weeks. 

To counteract this lack of spinach, and the fact that it’s winter so there’s no rocket or salad leaves in my garden, except a few herbs, I’ve been improvising some great green salads.

As some of you are aware I have been ill for many months, hence no blog posts for such a long time, there were weeks, well months when I struggled to eat however thanks to wonderful care and some incredible immunotherapy drugs, I have my appetite back and am now even more conscious of what I put in my body.



Hampshire watercress




Watercress features even more highly in my diet, (I will do another post about this) I’m having it in smoothies every morning as well as any other opportunity.

So, whilst we await new crops from Europe, I wish the farmers good luck and good growing weather, and hope the following salad should help keep you healthy. 

It’ s very green, delicious (in my opinion), fresh, easy to throw together and packed full of goodness.     




Advocados







LETTUCE FREE GREEN SALAD


Serves 2
Time- a few minutes to chop

INGREDIENTS:
2 spring onions,
I ripe avocado chopped into small cubes
A large handful/bunch of watercress and fresh mint both roughly chopped
Half a cucumber chopped into small cubes
The juice of a whole lemon, salt and pepper to season and a drizzle of olive oil if you like that.

WHAT TO DO: 
Assemble all the above chopped ingredients, then squeeze over the juice of the lemon, season with a few twists of  salt and pepper and splash a tiny bit of olive oil over and you are ready to eat.




Watercress and mint




Thank you to the kind friends, you know who you are, who have encouraged me to return here, and to all of you for checking this out after such a long pause in posts. I look forward to sharing more tasty ideas and recipes with you again soon.


Enjoy the salad..


Fresh dill and mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment