|Hazelnut and cranberry biscuits|
I am sorry for the long absence; life has been rather complicated for the last few months. Lots of health issues that meant I wasn’t cooking much. Luckily things are progressing well and I am now even more conscious of healthy eating and on the constant look out for immune boosting foods. Do message me of any you would recommend.
We have entered the “Exam Zone” again, the joys of the British Education system that exams our children every summer from the age of 15-18. So we have stressed teens that need healthy after school snacks.
These Hazelnut and Cranberry biscuits were very popular and barely lasted long enough to be photographed so I thought I would share the recipe with you, as it offers a tasty change, is easy to make and is a good healthy..ish option for everyone.
|Star and heart biscuits|
HAZELNUT AND CRANBERRY BISCUITS
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 10-12 minutes
Makes 20 -30 biscuits depending on how you cut them
6 oz -175g plain flour
3 oz -75g soft light brown sugar
4oz- 100g soft butter
The zest of half a lemon
1 oz -25g hazelnuts roughly chopped or bashed
1oz- 25g dried cranberries chopped
WHAT TO DO:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees C and put baking parchment on two or three baking trays.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the sugar and butter and then rub them altogether to form breadcrumb like mixture.
3. Add in the hazelnuts, cranberries and lemon zest to the mixture and squeeze into a dough, if it is still crumbly then add a tiny squeeze of lemon juice to help bind it together.
4. Take half the mixture and squeeze into a flatish shape, then with a rolling pin (or bottle if you don’t have a rolling pin) roll it on a very lightly floured surface, making sure to move the dough after each roll so it doesn’t stick. Using a cutter of your choice, I used hearts and stars as they are cute, cut out as many biscuits and repeat until you have used up all the dough.
5. Put the baking trays in the pre heated oven and check after 10 minutes. The biscuits should look slightly golden. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
|Healthy tasty snack|
|Hazelnut and cranberry hearts|
ENJOY. I will be back soon with more easy healthy food.