Sunday 20 May 2012

WHAT ARE THE EQUIVALENT MEASUREMENTS TO AMERICAN CUPS A READER ASKED RECENTLY...




Measuring cups


I had a question from a reader the other day about the use of cups in the cow pat bread recipe last month.

Here in the UK we’re not so used to using cups as a measurement preferring good old pounds and oz or grams.

To be honest, I used to avoid any recipe that used cups as it was a hassle.

 However the last time I was in New York I bought a set of American measuring cups.

Bizarrely I bought them in MOMA of all places, not from some trendy down town cook shop!!

They are very retro and have been great.






American measuring cups




 I can now make recipes from American recipes without trying to transpose them to pounds, oz or grams.

I still use my balance scales I got as a wedding present from Divertimenti and have both metric and imperial weights for them and have to admit I prefer this method of measuring.

The question got me thinking though.

 What are the actual equivalents of cups?

I checked out the various cooking gurus on line

Delia has a useful conversion chart on her website if you want the scientific approach:



However as I was measuring out the cups flour for my bread this morning I did a quick weigh of the cups of ingredients as well..

I don’t have more time than sense honestly...

My research showed that

1 cup of water was equivalent to 9 fl oz or ¼ litre

AND

1 cup of flour was about 8 oz or 185 g

Which doesn’t seem very scientific at all I’m afraid.

All the websites agreed that wet and dry ingredients seem to have different conversions so I suggest you check out exactly what they are, or head down to a good cook shop and get a set of cups if you are unsure!



Retro measuring cups



Finally before I pack the umbrella and head off for the day I have just seen that
Not Just For Rabbits
has now had over 
2000 
views.


It is fantastic to know people are clicking on, reading AND COOKING from my recipes...

Thank you
x

No comments:

Post a Comment